06 March 2011

Day Twenty-Six: Facing Loss

Have you ever lost someone that you loved so deeply that you were sure your heart had stopped beating because theirs did? How do you find your way back to the living when the love of your life is gone? How do you find your way to thankfulness when it feels so much like a part of you was taken, not given?

Today is the second anniversary of our friend losing his wife. It has been very heavy on my heart today; my heart hurt so much for him as I read his recount of the morning that he lost her. It is a devastating loss.

I have never lost my spouse, but I have lost a child, more than once. I have lost my grandparents, the last one last spring, and my father-in-law almost 24 years ago. While I still grieve these losses, I can be thankful that they are no longer suffering the ills of this life. They are experiencing no more pain, no more tears, and life with Our Heavenly Father. Evil can never harm them. They are safe.

Do I still desperately want them here with me to hug, to talk to, to love? YES! But, would I call them back to this life of suffering if I could? That wouldn’t be fair of me to do.

Will I feel the same when it is my husband’s time to go? I hope that I won’t have that answer for at least another hundred years.

For those friends out there that have suffered such a tragic loss, I am praying for you. I am praying for your comfort and peace. I am praying that Our Father wraps you in His love until you are with them again.

26. I am thankful for the time that I have had with my husband, no matter how long or how short it may work out to be. I am thankful for friends that find the strength to keep on keeping on even after their hearts are shattered. I am thankful for a loving Heavenly Father that hides us in the cleft of the rock, and protects us through all of the heartaches this life has to offer.



One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are

No comments:

Post a Comment